If the expecting parents live in a joint family, the role of the family is very important to the wellbeing of the mother. In India, women often stay with their in-laws for the better part of their pregnancy. While this often serves as a great support system, it may sometimes come with difficulties in the form of differences in opinion on traditional practices during pregnancy and after birth. The family can:
- Ensure that the woman Is provided with nutritious food
- Make her environment emotionally healthy
- Be patient if she suffers from mood swings and anxiety
- Be aware of the progress in her pregnancy without being intrusive
- Assure her of full support in case of complications in the pregnancy
- Educate themselves and those around them on the ills of gender selection, and not exert pressure on the new mother.
- Respect the cultural differences between the larger family and new family that is about to begin.